Saturday, December 13, 2014

Leek PR

Dear Turkey,

I think that leeks are my favorite vegetable. But I have a certain neighbor that I needed to get on board.

Typical neighbor CSA stress rant: "I pretend to like leeks! I make leek soup, I make potato leek soup, I make potato leek broccoli soup, but I just don't like them!"

Me: "maybe it's time to get away from soup."


Creamy Leek Bean Pasta
(serves 2 nursing mothers)

Ingredients:
- 2-4 leeks (depending on size) broiled with plenty of salt and oil, until totally tender with crispy edges
- Pasta of your choice for 2, cooked al dente
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 stick butter
- Few T olive oil
- 1 c kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 T Italian seasoning
- Juice of 1 lime
- Splash white wine (a big splash)


Instructions:
- Heat the olive oil, butter, onions, garlic, and Italian seasoning and cook on medium/low heat until the onions are getting transparent and just starting to brown a little on the edges.
- Add the lemon juice and wine and reduce on low heat for a few minutes until the sauce starts to come together a little bit.
- Add the beans and cook until heated through and just barely starting to soften up.
- Toss this with the pasta and let it sit in the pot for a minute for the flavors to marry. Then plate it and top with a generous scoop of the leeks and their oil. Top with cheese and serve with bread.

Enjoy,
Tofu

2 comments:

  1. Leeks are my favorite vegetable!! More proof we're meant to be friends. I put them in EVERYTHING! I take 15-20 per week from my CSA when they are available. This sounds super yummy! Thank you for giving leeks the proper PR they deserve ;) -K

    ReplyDelete
  2. The silent-on-leeks neighbor speaks: I LOVED the way Tofu prepared my leeks and convinced me that leeks actually have more than soup purposes. I used the leftovers in salads and it was so flavorful, especially with grapes and apples. As you know, I HATE wasting anything (not really because I'm "green" or "earth friendly" although I try to be--probably more like "cheap". So thanks--no more leeks wasted.
    -Favorite CSA-ranting neighbor

    ReplyDelete