Friday, December 26, 2014

Xmas Smashed Pea Pasta

Dear Turkey,

It's Christmas. You haven't gone outside all day. You just ate an entire box of Russell Stover Candies (oh, that was just me?), and then you took a nap. You want to eat something simple/light/seasonal-but-also festive (oh, that was just me? you made a goose [you know who you are]?).

My mom had this recipe on her "must make" mountain organized pile since...well, I just checked the date and it was published in 2006. Anyway.

Seriously, this recipe was worth saving. I made just a few changes to the recipe (My mom: do it exactly like it says. Then she went outside). I am going to make it again asap.


Festive, Easy, Delicious-and-Different Smashed Pea Pasta
(serves 4 people who have not exercised in at least 24 hrs)

Ingredients:
- 8 oz pasta, cooked al dente with lots of salt and oil in the water (reserve 1/3 c of the pasta water!)
- 16 oz frozen peas, thawed (hence the seasonal)
- 1/2 c ricotta cheese (I used part skim and that worked fine)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 T green onions
- 1-2 cloves garlic (optional, you could also use roasted for a milder flavor)
- Garnishes: olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, ricotta, parmesan 

Instructions:
- In the food processor, pulse the peas, green onion, garlic (this really depends on how much of a kick you want), salt and pepper until mixed but not totally pureed.
- Add the ricotta and pulse until just combined.
- Stir in the pasta water and toss with the hot pasta. Top with garnishes.

I served this with slices of pumpernickel bread topped with olive oil, salt, and garlic powder that I heated in the oven.

Enjoy,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment