Friday, March 15, 2013

Yes, I Am Obsessed With Scones

Dear Turkey,

So I had some creme fraiche in my fridge, because we were going to make chipotle/cherry/creme fraiche waffles, but the creme fraiche was expired. Why do we keep buying creme fraiche and never making the waffles? It might have something to do with the fact that we don't have a waffle iron.

For someone obsessed with scones, the logical thing to do with creme fraiche is, well, you know. I looked online at some recipes, and most of the ones that didn't also call for heavy cream (since I didn't have that) were pretty similar.



Creme Fraiche Scones:
In a big giant bowl that you had to take away from your baby, because he loves bowls, combine:


2 c flour
1 c creme fraiche
1/4 c sour cream (or any amount of both "creams" to make 1 1/4 c)
1 T sugar
1 c mini chocolate chips
2 1/4 t baking powder
1/4 t salt

With your hands, knead just until a ball barely forms. Smoosh into a round disk about an inch high and bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until JUST starting to brown around the edges. Slice like a pie and serve.


That powdery stuff on top is the extra flour that I didn't knead in; I just dumped it on top. I think that it's better to work the dough less and have a little flour left over. It tastes good on there.

Remember how I told you that my favorite coffee shop makes really good scones? Well, I was there the other day and, I was right, their scones are better than mine. But they also cost like $3. For one. I think that I'm getting closer to their secret with the "solid" creams that I used here. Although butter makes scones flaky, it also makes them heavy, and soured creams make them a little tangy, unlike liquid cream.

I moss you,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment