Wednesday, October 2, 2013

I Had a Chai

Dear Turkey,

When I was pregnant, caffeine gave me meltdowns. It made me feel really awesome for the first 12.9 hours of the day, but, when I got home, I would always find something to throw my phone in my husband's face about. So I gave it up. Since then, I have had  few accidental regular lattes, and some non-accidental free bubble teas. I wasn't sure if the occasional caffeine would make my breast milk (and, therefore, my baby) wired, but it didn't seem to.

Two mornings ago, I woke up and decided that it was time to treat myself to a chai. A chocolate chai (what other kind is there?). It was delicious and my baby and I both went to bed on time that night (no meltdowns). I was surprised, however, that I enjoyed the smell of the chai as much as the taste (I guess it's not really a surprise if you think about it); the smell took me right back to the last time that I had one -- and every time before that. 

This morning, when it was time to make my before-work muffins, I decided to replicate that smell. So I made (decaf) chai muffins. I invented them (at least this version); since I've been making so many muffins, I'm trying to expand my repertoire: 


Ingredients:

3 c flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
5 t baking powder
1.5 t salt
2 c soymilk
2/3 c canola oil
3/4 c sugar
1 decaf PG Tips (the best) teabag that you ripped open (sans bag)
1 t cinnamon (all spices are ground -- these are the ones that I use [whole] when I make a chai)
1/2 t ginger
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t cloves
1/2 t corriander
1/2 t fennel 

Mix until just combined. Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. Makes 24. Too bad I can't take a picture of a smell.

I moss you,
Tofu
                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment