Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Hello: 1500 Calorie Snack

Dear Scale,

Why, you ask, are you telling me such a high number today, and making me sad? Well, maybe it has to do with this:


You see, here I was, at the bubble tea place, and I was hungry. And they have daifuku mochi. I love daifuku mochi -- it's the kind with the rice flour outside and the red bean inside -- and it's really hard to make (I asked my Japanese friend how to make it once, and she answered, "in a factory."). I have been known to eat a whole package in one day. So, I got four individual ones.

I was halfway through daifuku four of four, (and I had already finished my chocolate bubble tea with extra bubbles [in a size bigger than I usually get]) when I began reading the package. I was appreciating how Japanese desserts aren't usually as full of fake ingredients as American desserts, and then my eyes accidentally wandered to the calorie count: "254." "Serving size: 1." "Sugars: 56 grams." Look out, Japan, here comes Tofu.

Sorry, scale,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment