Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Chocolate Spelt Cast Iron Cake

Dear  Turkey,

I have a "sweet" cast iron pan and a "savory" cast iron pan; that way my cast iron baking doesn't end up tasting like onions. Cast iron pans are awesome for baking in general, but they are really awesome for recipes like this that seem to get drier and drier on the outside while never getting totally done on the inside.

This cake definitely meets my breakfast-or-dessert criteria, and it can easily be made vegan if you use vegan butter (I like Earth Balance), and I bet it would work with a gluten-free flour. It's chocolatey enough that you feel like you really ate something, but not so sugary and greasy that you feel gross after. I could eat it right before a run. Or after.


Cast Iron Pan Chocolate Cake With Spelt (Spelt Optional)

Ingredients:
- 1 stick butter, melted (use some to generously grease your pan)
- 4 c spelt flour (or substitute regular flour; I have used 3 c whole wheat + 1 c white with success)
- 2.5 t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 4 T cocoa
- 1.5 c milk of your choice (I used soy unsweetened)
- 1 c brown sugar

Instructions:
- Combine everything but don't overmix.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes in a cast iron pan (if you use a regular loaf pan, you will need to increase baking time to an hour or more).

Enjoy,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment