Monday, February 16, 2015

Savory Crepes

Dear Turkey,

Remember when I made crepes the other day? Yeah, that was awesome.

Last weekend, my mom asked me to make savory crepes. She used to rock these awesome crepes with asparagus and hollandaise sauce, and I tried to recreate that, sans asparagus and hollandaise sauce (if you look in the Betty Crocker cookbook, it appears that people had a lot of free time in the seventies to cook intricate foods). These only took about 30 minutes, including making the crepes and baking time, and nobody missed the hollandaise (least of all me, since I didn't have to make it).

Crepes with Broccoli and Spinach (and not hollandaise)
(serves 4)


Ingredients:
- 1 recipe crepe batter (yeah, I still used the rum even though these are savory)
- 2 heads worth of broccoli crowns, cut up and microwaved in a covered bowl with a bit of water at the bottom, until tender
- 3 c spinach, wilted in the microwave with 1T lemon juice (microwave: great for lazy people and also a healthy way to steam veggies)
- 2 shallots, diced and sautéed with a bit of oil, salt, and pepper, until just brown
- 1 c shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 c shredded parm

Instructions:
- Butter a 9x13 baking dish.
- Assemble all of the filling ingredients, and cook the crepes (you can fill them as they get done, or stack them on a plate for later).
- Fill each crepe with a few pieces of broccoli, a few spinach leaves, about 1t of the shallots, and about 1T of the parm. Roll them up and place them seam side down in the baking dish. When they are all filled, sprinkle the Mexican cheese over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- If you have crepe batter left over, cook the rest of the crepes for dessert. (My batter recipe makes about 12 crepes; I figured 2 crepes per hungry person when making this recipe, so I had some batter left.)

Enjoy,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment