Monday, February 2, 2015

Black Bean Enchiladas

Dear Turkey,

loveenchiladas. I think they are my favorite Mexican dish. However, I felt like mine were always missing something, especially in the sauce department. So I was excited when I found a recipe that had some new strategies: broth and flour in the sauce (and way more chili powder than I usually use), canned black bean soup in the filling (cheating? okay with me).

These enchiladas were really delicious. It did seem like cheating to not actually cook anything for the bean mixture, but I will definitely be making them again.

Black Bean Enchiladas
(adapted from the Wegmans magazine, serves 8)

Ingredients:
1/4 c olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 serrano, minced
1 t cumin
3 T chili powder
1/4 c flour
3-4 c veggie broth (depending on how thick you like your sauce)
1 15-oz can tomato sauce
2 15-oz cans black beans, undrained (if you're using a good brand, like Goya)
1 can black bean soup (I used Trader Joe's vegan black bean soup)
16 oz shredded Mexican cheese
16 small corn tortillas
1/4 c chives, cut up small

Directions:
1. For the sauce, combine first 5 ingredients in a big pan and cook until the garlic starts to brown a little and smell ridiculously delicious. Add the next 3 ingredients and simmer for a few minutes until the sauce starts to thicken.
2. Meanwhile, mash one can of beans in a big bowl and add the other can of beans, the soup, and half of the cheese. 
3. Microwave the tortillas so they are soft enough to work with. Oil a big baking dish and put a big ladleful of sauce in the bottom. Fill the tortillas with the beans and put in the baking dish (or fill half of them and keep the rest on the filling and sauce in the fridge/freezer for later -- you could also bake all of them and freeze some enchiladas when baked). Top with the rest of the sauce and cheese.
4. Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, for 25-30 mins. Top with chives.

Enjoy,
Tofu



1 comment:

  1. Yum!! Sounds delicious :) Enchiladas are my fav too but I always feel like my sauce isn't quite right. I will give this a try this weekend!!

    -K

    ReplyDelete