Friday, July 10, 2015

Not-Asian Tofu

Dear Tofu-Haters and Tofu-Scaredy-Cats,

First, a confession: when people put those interesting marinades on chicken, I am sometimes jealous. Not that I want to eat the chicken part, but I am interested in the sauce part.

This confession leads me to remind you that tofu doesn't have to taste like Asian food (not that that's a problem for me, Tofu being my namesake and all).  I marinated this tofu in lemon-garlic marinade, and then I served it over a bed of lemony spinach. Healthy, easy, fast, and so tasty. Good the next day, too.



Not-Asian Tofu
(serves 2)

Ingredients:
- 1 cake firm or extra-firm tofu, drained of its water and sliced (you could also press it between a few sheets of paper towels with something heavy, like a can, on top for a few minutes; this really does make it soak up the sauce better and cook faster)
- 1/2 c fun marinade of your choice (I used lemon-garlic), or 1/4 c olive oil, 3 T lemon juice, 1 clove garlic (pressed), 1 t sugar (look on the ingredients list of almost any marinade and sugar will be there!),  and 1-2 t salt
- 4 c raw spinach
- 3 T lemon juice
- generous pinch salt, pepper, garlic powder

Instructions:
- Oil a glass baking dish and arrange the tofu in it in one layer. Pour the marinade over it and let stand for at least 10 minutes, or as long as 24 hours (in the fridge).
- Bake at 425 for 10-15 minutes, until the tofu begins to brown on top. Finish under the broiler (watch carefully!) for another 3-5 minutes, or to taste.
- Meanwhile, divide the spinach between two plates or bowls, sprinkle with the lemon juice and spices (divided), and microwave just until wilted.
- Lay the tofu on top of the spinach and serve.

Enjoy,
Tofu








No comments:

Post a Comment