Thursday, May 23, 2013

Nine Dollar Guacamole

Dear Cantina Laredo,

Thank you for your generous offer of free lunch in exchange for a shot at fame and fortune on my blog.

Just kidding:

Dear Mom and Dad,

Thank you for letting me and Lt. Veggie Nugget use your credit card to eat lunch, self-serve froyo, and Starbucks at the mall yesterday while pretending to be teen moms.

Either way, I went to lunch at Cantina Laredo yesterday in order to answer an important question: what exactly goes into $9 guacamole?

Luckily, they made the guacamole right in front of me, so I could see what goes into it: exactly what I put into it at home, where I still get to watch myself make it, and it costs about $2.75.

Actual size
That said, I appreciate the addition of a "Mexican" restaurant to our horrible mall. They conveniently marked the vegetarian entrees (few though they were) with a green square (or was it a triangle?). I had spinach enchiladas (served the "traditional" way, with beans on one side and rice on the other). It was nice not to have to ask if the beans had meat in them, and I enjoyed the "free" chips and two salsas came to our table right when we sat down.

Of course, Cantina Laredo isn't nearly as good (or as cheap) as Our. Local. Favorites. But, Mom and Dad, I wouldn't say that your money was wasted, either.

Adios,
Tofu

2 comments:

  1. I suffer the unfortunate consequence of having a fiance who makes the best guacamole I've ever had. The ONLY time I've ordered guacamole at a restaurant was in Mexico. They made it right at the table and it was the best restaurant guacamole I have ever had, but it still came in second to his. And so it is that I shall forever be spoiled. (I'm OK with that) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. $9.00 guac? Hmmmm...I was going to at least try Cantina Laredo when my teenaged daughter begs me to take her to the circus atmosphere @ the mall. I am now not so excited. Certain expensive foods certainly peak my interest, though expensive guac is not one of them. In the kitchen of my cousin's Denver, Colorado restaurant I once watched skilled, authentic guac makers whip it up in under a minute and present it to me with a shy smile and a humblenees,. Soulful guac nirvana.That moment or feeling could never be duplicated. We all have our price....I am on my way to Marblehead, Ma., where I would pay a King's ransom for fresh lobster and oysters, supplemented with my favorite on- the-way pastry shop. I once had to use their facilities. They were nice enough to take me to the cellar where I actually saw people frosting cakes that had been liberally sprinkled with rum. The atmosphere was so sugary sweetly intoxicating, that I forgot where I was. I loathe cellars.Well... I'd better say goodbye, as I have just remembered Lyndsey is the orginator of this blog, not me. Goodbye.

    ReplyDelete