Monday, May 27, 2013

Bday Flan

Dear Turkey,

Remember when my mom had a landmark birthday and she wanted flan? And it was so hard to make and the ramekins were impossible to wash (you probably don't remember that part, since I washed them)? Apparently we didn't know how to cook then.

This time, my mom wanted this one, by one of your favorite local chefs. It was pretty easy:

I reduced 1 c maple syrup by half on low heat.

I whisked together 1/2 c maple syrup, 2 c heavy cream, 5 eggs, a pinch salt, and 1 t vanilla (I simplified the recipe slightly here).

I poured the reduced syrup into the bottom of six ramekins.

I poured the "batter" on top and placed them in a pyrex dish with an inch or so of very hot water in the bottom.

350 degrees, 45 mins. Then I turned the oven off and let them sit for about 45 more minutes, while I gave my mom her birthday massage. 

For dinner, we had seasonal veggies roasted with sweet and sour sauce (from a jar), angel hair, and scallops that I pan fried in olive oil, butter, garlic, dried parsley and basil, a little salt, lime juice, and white wine. I topped the pasta with olive oil and parm; we also had salad.

Ta da...flan.

They even turned out, releasing the delicious sauce on the bottom. Easy washing! I guess we know how to cook now, lucky for my mom.

I moss you,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment