Saturday, May 18, 2013

Yet Another Way to Use Buttermilk

Dear Turkey,

Remember that fight that you and I had in college about whether or not you are my best friend? Well, I hope you haven't gotten too comfortable, because you are competing with buttermilk.

Ah, buttermilk, what's not to love? You're cheap, you're nutritious, you're alive (that's right -- active cultures), and you make everything taste delicious.

I recently made a declaration that I must have buttermilk in my house at all times. How many people have said that about you?

This is a cake that I adapted from a blog that I love. If you click on the link you will see that I added You Know What. I decided to make it because I had a Corning-ware dish out that I didn't want to put away (it goes under lots of other heavy Corning-ware dishes on a high shelf). Other lazy perks: it only uses a couple of  spoons and cups, and they're easy to wash (meaning, you don't measure fat in them); you can melt the butter in the Corning-ware dish while you preheat the oven, pour it into the batter and, voila, your pan is greased. If your cake lasts more than one day, you can cover it with the lid of said dish, since you didn't put that away, either.

Raspberry Buttermilk Pound Cake:

In a bowl, combine (okay, okay, all of my recipes start like this, and I concede that if I had gotten out my Kitchen-aid mixer and creamed and sifted and added it would have been really delicate and delicious. But guess what? It was still gone in 24 hours, and there were only two people eating it):

2 c sugar
2 sticks butter, melted
6 eggs that you got for free from your friend
1 t vanilla
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt (measure the soda and the salt first, use the same spoon for the vanilla -- only one spoon to wash)
1 c buttermilk MY NEW BEST FRIEND
3 c flour (if you scanned down the recipe to maximize your laziness potential, you will have measured this before the buttermilk so that you only have to wash one cup)
1 -2 c frozen raspberries (cup already in the sink? estimate -- that's why I gave you a range)

Bake in a buttered dish at 325 degrees for 90-100 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.

Serves one.


Just kidding, this is a serving (and that's not a joke).

I moss you,
Tofu






2 comments:

  1. With regards to your question:

    How many people have said that about you?

    I've said it about him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy, I can taste the buttery consistency coupled with my favorite fruit. I can also imagine how many spin classes it would take to neutralize the butter. I think my raspberry bushes are starting to flower......

    ReplyDelete