Friday, May 24, 2013

The Last Winter Soup

Dear One of my Two Friends (You Know Who You Are -- if not, use process of elimination),

I am so excited to see you, your baby, and your Lt. Veggie Nugget (aka sister) for lunch today. In your honor, I took everything perishable out of my fridge/hanging root basket (don't worry -- nothing was bad -- I am anal, remember?) and made it into The Last Winter Soup. People who think that it hasn't been winter for a while obviously don't live around here.   

Here are the suspects (not pictured are some canned tomatoes from the other day):


I put the roast-able suspects in my dutch oven with lots of olive oil and salt: 


Here are the non-roast-able suspects:


One hour, 425 degrees (cover off) later:


I carefully put the dutch oven on the burner (can you tell that I'm trying to minimize dishes? you don't even have to wash the dutch oven when you're done -- quality), and added the non-roast-ables and a quart of veggie broth: 


Cook just until tender:


Puree:


I made this yesterday so that the flavors would be all married by lunchtime today. We are going to enjoy it with whole milk ricotta on top, homemade bread, iced coffee, and whatever you guys bring.

See you after nap time (I'll leave it to the audience to decide who is napping),
Tofu

1 comment: