Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Pumpkin Salted Caramel Thumbprints, Beta Version

Dear Turkey,

Remember those butternut squash cookies that I made last week? They were tasty, but they didn't look like the picture in the magazine. So I wanted to redeem myself, especially because I don't want to get a reputation as someone who doesn't know how to make caramel.

For the cookies, I did reduce the sugar to 1/3 c, and I also didn't soften the butter any more than I had to (it was more like fridge temp than room temp). And I also busted out the mixer and actually creamed the dough. And then I chilled the dough. (Yes, Mom, I concede that sometimes it's worth doing these things.) The result: fluffier, rounder, chewier cookies.

For the caramel, I cooked the sugar/corn syrup/water a little more than I did last time (I wrote "golden brown" in the original recipe, but I amend that to "it's brown, it's really brown, you are scared it's about to burn"). I also took my own advice and used canned pumpkin (spoiler alert: canned pumpkin is really squash [and not like a pumpkin is a squash, like really]). The lower water content in the canned pumpkin definitely made the frosting set up more. I had cream and I used it this time, to delicious ends. I still chilled the frosting for several hours and then sprinkled the cookies with salt. Good thing there was lots of frosting left over to eat from a spoon.


Enjoy,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment