Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Beautiful Applesa -- I Mean: Nope, Still Not Jealous of You


Dear Turkey,
Like you, I am experiencing an exotic adventure for the first time: staying home with a sick baby. So I'm not at work, I'm wearing a hoodie, and I'm not even starting the laundry or cleaning the house since I don't know what time we'll have to leave to go to the pediatrician (because sick babies wake up way earlier than doctors' offices). 
So I'm going to tell you about my adventure from Saturday: making applesauce. I make applesauce every year, usually twice. Once I use one kind of apples only and add a bunch of brown sugar and cinnamon. The other time I use four or five different varieties of apples and don't use any sugar (family secret, don't tell). That's what I did this time; I try to hit all the colors of skin and flesh (white and yellow). 
I don't peel the apples. I use one of those apple slicers, and then I use a paring knife to make sure I got all the hard parts from the core that sometimes sneak through.
I put the apples in pots with an inch or two of water at the bottom and brought them to a simmer on low heat -- be careful or they will stick and burn:

 I kept stirring them as they got soft, about 30 mins:
 Meanwhile I sterilized the jars; I used quart size:
 This is almost done; there are still some crunchy bits:
 After it was as cooked as I like (which is totally arbitrary), I packed the jars, leaving 1/8-1/4 inch headspace, and processed them for 30 mins. They all sealed within an hour:
The whole thing took about three hours from start to finish, thanks to the people who held my baby while I worked!
I moss you,
Tofu

2 comments:

  1. I made two kinds of applesauce too! It was before I left for Japan so that blog got postponed until later. I froze them and am looking forward to eating (and blogging) about them later. And you do pretty much what I do.

    ReplyDelete