Monday, October 29, 2012

That Highlighting Had Better Go Away

Dear Turkey,

You said the other day that it seems like everything I post has apples in it. Well, here's one more:


These are baked apples with lingonberries and whipped cream from Kitchen of Light (scroll down). We really love this cookbook, and it's cool because I didn't know much about Scandinavian cooking before we started using it (if you don't either, I'll tell you that lots of things have Aquavit in them). The pictures in the book are beautiful, too.

I cored the apples and put them in a buttered baking dish. Then I put some more butter, lemon juice, and buckwheat honey in the hole where the core was. Then I added some lingonberry preserves on top of all that (the only other time I had had those was eating lunch at Ikea, one of my favorites activities from college) and baked them until they were soft enough to eat with a fork. I served them with some whipped cream that I made and sweetened with sugar (not ultra-pasturized cream, please).

There is another version of this, also from Kitchen of Light, that we make all the time. Instead of the berries, I use a couple of teaspoons of grated fresh ginger, and serve it with low-fat greek yogurt. At the risk of being cliche, this dessert is so good (and it's healthy!) that once you eat it you'll realize that it's more than the sum of its parts.

The classic version


I moss you,
Tofu

1 comment:

  1. Dear Astute Blog Audience,
    I'm sure you're excited that I added another picture ("the classic version") to this post. Yes, I found it on my phone, and I knew that you would want to know how it looks. That's just how much I care about you.
    xo
    Tofu

    ReplyDelete