Monday, October 1, 2012

I'm Not Jealous of You

Dear Turkey,
I hope you're having fun in Japan. I'm just writing to say that I'm not jealous of you. Not one little bit. I won't be jealous of you when you go to Italy or Costa Rica either.
I have a lot of places on my bucket list, and I'd still like to join the PeaceCorps someday, but I'm kind of surprised that I don't wake up every morning burning with envy about all of your cool experiences. I'm just that good at repressing it.
Seriously, though, I think it's a good sign that right now I don't want to be anywhere else besides my 800-square-foot house with my adorable little family (and plants).
Since I am doing my world travelling via palate only, I wanted to present our latest awesome Carribean Rotis (beta version 1.3). We first made something like this after eating Rotis at the Moosewood, when I was living in Ithaca (it was the day that I punctured my leg in a sledding accident, but that's another story).
Here's what we did this time:
1. Grated cheese.
2. Beans: two cans of Goya black beans drained and rinsed (or one big can, or soak some dried ones). First, sautee two shallots, two cloves of garlic, some oil, salt, lime juice, cumin, and a few T honey, then add the beans and cook five minutes.
3. Squash: roast 1/2 of a small butternut squash until tender. Mash with two boiled red potatoes (skin on, please), 4T butter, salt, and 6 oz cream cheese (why do you think this was so good?).
4. Onion and pepper sauce: sautee half of an onion and one half of a yellow pepper, diced, (you might want to double or triple this part for leftovers to warm up along with the leftover other stuff) in some oil, add enough molasses to coat, a few T brown sugar and lime juice, salt, pepper, cumin, chipotle powder, allspice, cloves, tumeric, maybe some curry powder (Dear Husband, if you ever read my blog, you can make a comment below about what you actually did, but I think I was something like that).
5. Mango salsa: dice one mango, add some red wine vinegar that you brought to a boil and dissolved some sugar in (then cooled), salt, lime juice, minced red onion, green onion, and serrano.
6. Cilantro (optional).
We usually put everything inside of a whole wheat tortilla (except the salsa) and bake it until the tortilla is nice and crispy, and then top with salsa and cilantro.
It's not Japan, but pretty exotic for a Sunday night after a nice ten mile run and with the sound of rain on the metal roof and a beautiful baby for entertainment:

the insides
the pots
the whole deal

 I moss you,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment