Monday, October 22, 2012

My Two Best Friends

 Dear Turkey,

I would like to introduce you to my two best friends...at least in the world of lunch and dinner (oh, were you expecting to see your picture?). In fact, you already know them. I have pages and pages of my cookbook devoted to different kinds of rice and beans, but yesterday I was inspired to try something new.

rice and beans
a match made in heaven










Mexican Fried Rice from Weelicious. I love this blog. Although her recipe calls for cheese, I made it without cheese, because I didn't have any. I really like that this is a satisfying beans and rice dish that really doesn't need cheese (and I can testify to its satisfying-ness, since I had just run ten miles while pushing a giant baby in the baby jogger). And there are all kinds of ways to dress it up (or down) that I won't insult you by describing here (I will say that tonight I'm going to fry some shallots first and add some cilantro at the end).

I love cooking rice in my rice cooker (Dear Cuisinart: when we are rich and famous bloggers you will regret not capitalizing on this shameless product endorsement opportunity!). Perhaps I should embarrass you now by explaining to the world how the rice cooker is responsible for the only time I've lied to my husband, since you let slip that he had gotten it for me before he actually gave it to me...oops...maybe I already did.

I moss you,
Tofu

1 comment:

  1. Dear Tofu,
    Your love of food saturates my brain and tingles my tastebuds. Perhaps someday you will open a restaurant or at least have a delivery service that comes to my home. Your love affair with food is delicious and pure.

    ReplyDelete