Saturday, December 8, 2012

Me So Hungry For Miso

Dear Tofurkey,

When I read your last post, I feared that your cookie title was another tease wherein I would find no cookies. I was happy to be wrong. They look delicious! But adult? OK, OK, I get it. They're interesting cookies that require a mature palette, cookies suitable for snobs. But I was expecting truly naughty, NC-17 cookies. I might have to pick up the slack on that when we get to making our Christmas cookies. Stay tuned tiny blog public.

I wanted to show you what I made for dinner a few nights ago. It's a standby we use that I think you would love and could easily be adapted for a vegetarian entree (read: tofu). It also involves a few reliable healthy substitutions.
If you just grate long strips of carrot and broccoli stalk and
steam it (don't overdo it!), it works just like pasta and is
tastier too!
Stew beef fried up with lots of cracked black pepper works
for us, but I suggest tofu for you, or a vegetable stir fry.































To these I added a miso cream sauce, but since I like my arteries enough to avoid using cream in everyday meals, I make a fake cream sauce. For this I use Greek yogurt. This may be one of my favorite food substitutions. I use it all the time. It works as sour cream on tacos or in soup, or as cream in sauce-making. Just be careful not to add it all at once to a hot pan, especially if it's low fat, or the sauce will break immediately. I have learned this painful lesson too often.

Just fry up some onion and add about half a cup of
unsweetened coconut milk, a few tablespoons of miso, some
pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg. Remove from heat and slowly
add about a half cup of Greek yogurt.
Voila! It's delicious with the extra broccoli and homemade
buckwheat bread. You can use whatever flavors you like
though. The coconut milk and yogurt make a generic cream
sauce.

































I hope we get some comments for our contest too. I'm excited to make something new!
Love,
Turkey

No comments:

Post a Comment