Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Re: Cooking Contest



Dear Turkey,

As a result of past events, I have resolved to engage with your posts more, and not just engage with my own previous posts, hence my subject line (that's all I can say in response to your last post, since I just skimmed it). Now, onto the business at hand. 

Just kidding. Blog public: I am waiting for you to challenge me! Please come up with something so that I don't have to use bananas AND garlic (see, I did read it!)! 

Business at hand/in fridge:
Cabbage. 
Why, you may ask, am I making another thing with cabbage? Is it because cabbage is in season, healthy, delicious, and cheap? It is because my last recipe only used a quarter of the beautiful, seasonal, healthy, delicious, and cheap cabbage that was in my fridge since the beginning of November (but still good -- yet another perk!)? Is it because it's on my husband's diet? Answer: all of the above. 

I got the recipe from this classic book, but I changed it a little (of course). I cut up the red cabbage, an onion, a carrot, and two cloves of garlic. I put it in a big beautiful heavy pot with some oil, a bay leaf, some thyme, ground pepper, and lots of salt (if I've learned one thing about cabbage it's that it needs more salt than you think). I cooked it down for ten or twenty minutes, stirring it in between reading my baby those adorable board books with big pictures of baby faces that he loves (I get a different batch from the library every week), adding a little white cooking wine whenever it started to stick. I ended up using about 2-3 T of salt and 1-2 c of wine total. Then I finished it in a warm oven for about an hour while my husband drove home from work. 



I wasn't sure if it was going to taste as good as it looked, but it did; I imagine it will taste even better today, although it might not look as good -- I'm thinking of topping it with some tabasco sauce or plain yogurt
I moss you,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment