Monday, December 10, 2012

Things My Husband DOES Like, and thinks should go on the blog

Dear Turkey,

If I were to make a new label for this post, I would call it Things My Husband Does Like, because...well...he likes this stuff...a lot. When we were doing our weekly ten mile run yesterday, he told me that I should put all this stuff on the blog. And this was before we'd even made it.

Usually he gives me some reason or another why not to put something on the blog ("I made it, not you," "you should only blog about the best recipes," "it needs tinkering"), and don't even get me started on the reasons he gives to not put something in our joint cookbook. Luckily, unlike the cookbook, this is my blog (okay, my and your blog), and I can put whatever  I want on here and he can't stop me.

First, Split Pea Soup from The Moosewood Daily Special (a really great cookbook). We pretty much follow their recipe. This is a truly awesome soup, and we love to have some in the freezer. The Moosewood recipes always have secret ingredients for the umami flavors that so many vegetarian recipes lack.

this is what it looks like when it's cooking; our windows got all fogged up with pea soup fog haha

when the peas begin to fall apart you know its done


so good
Then we made cranberry sauce, because we just didn't get enough during Thanksgiving. We boiled a bag of cranberries (minus the bag) with one cup of water and one cup of sugar until they started to bust open. Then we ate the whole thing in one sitting (no kidding). We also love to make orange and pear versions, but we decided to kick it old school yesterday.

well worth the ten minutes it took to make
and the two minutes it took to eat
I also made bread inspired by my favorite bread cookbook. This book taught me how to bake bread. Yesterday I made my usual sourdough, with special guests shallots and olive oil.

it went really well with the soup

and it should keep all week

I moss you,
Tofu

1 comment:

  1. Dear Tofurkey-

    You are really funny. I am glad you didn't eat the bag with the cranberry sauce. I think you should make that meal for a certain beautiful sister when she comes home. Just sayin'

    Sincerely,
    Lt. Veggie-Nugget

    ReplyDelete