Friday, April 12, 2013

Leave-In Conditioner

Dear Turkey,

I know this blog is supposed to be about food, but today I have to talk about something even more important than food: my hair.

As you know, I have long, beautiful, shiny, shiny, hair. Did I mention that it is shiny? Anyway, the world at large can't really appreciate my hair, because when I wear it down it usually just turns into a tangled mess. So, even though I am opposed to beauty products, I decided that if I am going to have long hair, I need to enter the world of leave-in conditioner.

So, I did some research, and I was going to buy this brand, which probably smells all nice and natural, like me. But they don't carry that kind at Wegmans, so I got this brand, which (they don't tell you this on the bottle) is scented: Your Husband Will Have to Leave the House Every Time You Use Me.

This morning, I jumped out of bed and raced to the bathroom to try my new beauty product (did I mention that I'm opposed to beauty products?). I spritzed it all over my hair. My hair was shiny; it was beautiful. I went back into our room and my husband (ever the diplomat) said: "I fully support your quest to make your hair manageable, but we have got to talk about that smell."

Okay, Honey, you are right. My hair smells so fruity that I can actually taste it. But it's really shiny. And it's remained comb-able even though:
1) I'm wearing a sweater
2) It's all dry and static-y in my office
3) There were 30 MPH winds today
But I'm starting to get a headache, so I will take your advice and try my original brand choice.

For those of you who have tuned out of my post so far (aka men), time to wake up, because I also managed to bake in the midst of my hair-conditioning-athon (yes, I am a power-mom). As you probably know, I am obsessed with banana bread (and scones, and my hair). I wanted to try something a little different; this is a cross between a quick bread and a "real" bread, and the texture is really nice for a change.

Banana Sourdough Bread

In a bowl, combine:
2/3 c sourdough starter (optional, as always, but not really if you want to make to sour -- you could also just add a teaspoon of dry yeast here)
6 very ripe bananas
Between 2/3 c and 1 c sour cream (I used a combination of light [but not the one with all the nasty fillers] and regular)
2 c flour
1/2 c sugar
1 c chocolate chips
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda (yes, I had to use ALL the leaven-ers)
1/2 t salt

Taste the batter -- it tastes like soda -- really.

Bake in a greased pan for at least 70 mins at 350 degrees.




In other news:

Attn: Free Refills Dept
Well, g2g, I'm distracted by my hair.

I moss you,
Tofu

1 comment:

  1. Every so often my better half uses Selsun Boo. (That's right... "Boo", not "Blue". As if being said by a sad monkey or two year old.) He too uses it at strategic times because it makes his head smell NOT like him. Selsun Boo is very boo. :(

    ReplyDelete