Tuesday, July 16, 2013

More From IF E MOT OF WINO

"Dear Tofu" [that part was by me, Tofu],

Marblehead Massachusetts is a relaxing yet famous little town. It's the birthplace of the United States Navy, the starting point of sailing races galore, many publicized artistic endeavors, the home of the museum that houses the original "Spirit of '76" painting, and NO chain restaurants or hotels, except Starbucks. (Stay at Brimblecomb Hill B &B. The owner, Gene Arnold also owns the gallery in town.) ~Nice lodging, wonderful hospitality, great breakfast, and artistic inspiration @ Arnold Gallery.

Our Marblehead trip was about two things, food and the beach. After many unpleasant happening the past few weeks, food and the beach were the soothing balm. Lobster rolls were the first order of business. Lobster just pulled from the shell, so sweet and flavorful without a hit of fishiness, and a very small dab of mayonnaise to cradle the meat. This comes on a grilled hot dog bun. I elevate it to a more nutritious level by ordered a garden salad, putting a dollop of balsamic on the salad, then the lobster on top. Total nirvana... I admit I ate muffins and fruit at the b &b. It's important to get all of your food  groups in on vacation. All of this topped off with a hermit cookie defined a satisfying lunch.

Marblehead is seafood wonderland. Our favorite seafood place is The Barnacle, although lobster roll eating takes place @ The Muffin Shop. The Barnacle is a step up from a clam shack. It sits right on the water, has an outside deck, full food and cocktail menu, and nice service. One particularly sweet girl Anna, has been our server many times. Very importantly, they have their own lobster boat. There's never a bad seat in the house, as three sides of the building are on the water.

I started with fried oysters. So fresh, and so lightly battered they sweetly melt in your mouth. I paired them with a glass of sauvignon blanc for its slight dry citrus flavor. Then I ate stuffed lobster. The lobster is "stuffed" with hardly any seasoned bread crumbs, just enough to hold the fresh shrimp and scallops together. Ahhhhh....A little messy to dismantle, but never a hesitation arose. Another glass of sauvignon blanc was in order.



The next night was $1.00 oyster on the half shell night. We decided to sit at the bar. I won't bore you with where the oysters came from. It only matters if you like them, AND you must drink vodka with them. This is ancient lore from Hilton Head Island and I believe it. I ordered a Goose Cosmo., rather limey to be safe. I put lemon on the oysters, asked the bartender for more horseradish, dressed them, then gleefully slurped them from the shell with gusto! Following were baked sweet sea scallops and asparagus. Admittedly, I took half of the scallops and asparagus with me, and ate them on a croissant the next morning.



Our third night of seafood decadence was TWIN lobsters eaten on the outside deck. Two yummy crustaceans, perfectly cooked and sufficiently hot were dissected by my nimble buttery fingers.(shell crackers were also employed) I splurged and ordered extra melted butter too. Chased again with sauvignon blanc, with a view of all the boats moored in the harbor made the  perfect summer night.



I treasure beautiful summer evenings, picturesque views and luscious seafood.  Until next month, Marblehead, I look forward to your healing power for body, mind and spirit.

"Your #1 Guest-Poster, 
IF E MOT OF WINO" 
[closing by Tofu -- dear other guest posters: are you going to let IF E MOT OF WINO have all the glory?]

2 comments:

  1. Who is IF E MOT OF WINO? And what does that even mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! And I almost forgot....

    Ray oysters totally gross me out, but the combination of "oyster" and "gross" reminded me of a This American Life story (Act One).

    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/484/doppelgangers

    ReplyDelete