Monday, July 22, 2013

Chili Mac

Dear Turkey,

Today, we're going to discuss something close to my heart: Chili Mac. Ah, that perfect marriage of Mexican and pasta; what's not to love? Especially after an 11 mile run (you know you ran far when you can express it with numerals instead of writing out the number). 

I think that Chili Mac is supposed to be a box of mac and cheese combined with a can of chili. I am not knocking that interpretation, especially when camping. Here is what I do, however:

Chili Mac:
Cook a few big handfuls of elbows al dente. 
Pour the pasta into a strainer and then, using the same pot, heat up a can of tomatoes.
Add cumin, chili powder, oregano, black pepper, lime juice, jalapenos, whatever you want.
Add a can of black beans (I usually rinse them in the same strainer, before draining the pasta, and drain the pasta right on top) and the pasta.
Cook a little bit so that the pasta and the beans soak up the flavor.
Top with cheese.


The more Mexican cookbooks I read, the more I realize that oregano isn't just for Italian food. My suspicion was confirmed at Wegmans yesterday, where I saw "Mexican Oregano" next to the "regular" kind. The best kind of oregano is from my garden.

I moss you,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment